The Southwestern University
Established in 1946 with a Great Vision
The Southwestern University (SWU), officially the Southwestern University PHINMA, is a private university in Cebu City, Philippines founded in 1946 by two pharmacists.
It started as Southwestern Colleges in the summer of 1946 and became a university on December 11, 1959. The university and its base hospital were acquired by PHINMA Group in 2015. The university was renamed to Southwestern University PHINMA and the hospital from Sacred Heart Hospital to Southwestern University Medical Center. The university changed the logo and closed its South Campus in Basak San Nicolas, Cebu City.
Southwestern University is in the south of the City of Cebu, Philippines. The university has two campuses. The main campus is located on Urgello St. and the Aznar Coliseum Complex is on Aznar Road.
The university once had a South Campus (Basak Campus) on E. Sabellano St., Basak San Nicolas, Cebu City which is now closed and has been in operation by another school. The closed South Campus formerly housed the College of Veterinary Medicine, the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and the Elementary and High School Training Departments.
Southwestern University is a leader in innovative undergraduate education, offering a life-enriching residential experience for talented individuals who share a passion for intellectual exploration, engagement, and growth. Discovery and creation are intentionally fostered throughout a diverse and inclusive community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni, empowering all.
SWU PHINMA, creates an inclusive and supportive environment that provides vibrant moments for students to explore opportunities, develop leadership, and demonstrate a strong sense of service thus strengthening and reinforcing learning outcomes and empowering students to become the best that they can be.
Urgello Street, Lungsod ng Cebu, 6000 Lalawigan ng Cebu, Philippines.
21 Lakhs – (Excluding food and accommodation)
Fee structure based on previous academic year it may vary based on the administrations decision.
- Students must clear their +2 exam with more than 50% of marks. The student must have studied Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology.
- For reserved category students the marks criteria of 10+2 is 40%.
- Students must have cleared NEET with Minimum Marks.
- The NEET qualifying marks will be published by the NTA every year.
- The student must have completed 17 years of age.
- 10th standard Marksheet
- 12th standard Marksheet
- Passport size photographs (at 10)
- Admission Letter
- Student Visa
- Covid-19 test report
- HIV test report
- Medical insurance
- Birth certificate
- Identity proof (Aadhar card, Pan card)
The Southwestern University Advantages
- The Duration of the total duration is about 5.5 Years. Around 1 year of Pre-Medicine and if they clear the NMAT exam they can start their MD course
- South Western University is accredited by the WHO and the MCI which is very important. These recognitions will help the student to practise medicine in India after clearing their FMGE exam.
- Our teaching infrastructure consists of various latest technology which includes 3d models to make the students get an in depth view of the anatomy.
- The teaching faculty of the organisation are some of the top doctors in the country. Their teaching experience and the methods will make the students grasp the concepts without any hindrance.
- More than 40% of the Doctors in the facilities are US returned Doctors. All these Doctors are top of their respective fields.
- The Facilities for the internship of the students are present within the campus. So students can practice their internship within the college campus
- The SWU hospital has over 6000 beds for patients. This means the students will get a lot of exposure during their practice.
- The accommodation facilities for the students are present inside the college campus for both local students and the International students.
Diversity & Inclusion
Just like Cebu, SWU PHINMA is a vibrant, diverse, and thriving global village that highlights a transcultural learning atmosphere because of the various races and beliefs. The University’s vibrant environment has attracted thousands of qualified and serious learners from all over Asia, America, and Africa, positioning SWU PHINMA as an internationally competitive, transformative, and welcoming institution of higher learning. SWU PHINMA fosters a community that emboldens camaraderie through purposeful organizations and fun & worthwhile activities students can join and enjoy.
- History of Medicine
- Preventive and Communicative
These are some of the topics which will be covered in the first year syllabus.
- General and Clinical Pathology
- Neuroscience 2
In the second year, these are the syllabus which will be covered.
- Internal Medicine
- Legal Medicine
- Advanced Pathology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
These are the syllabus for the third year.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
This is the most important and the final year of the curriculum.
PRE – MEDICINE & DOCTOR OF MEDICINE
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
For Indian Students
What is the overall tuition fee to study in Southwestern University Phinma?
The overall tuition fees could be around 21 lakhs. This data is based on previous academic year, There might be variations in the fee structures.
Is Southwestern University, Phinam a good institution to study MBBS?
Yes, Southwestern University is one of the best medical education Institutions in the Philippines.
Does this college has afiliated hospitals for internship program?
Yes, SWU hospital is one of the largest hospitals in the Philippines and has over 6000 beds.
Are there any Indian students studying in Southwestern University, Phinam?
Yes, there are many Indian students studying in this university.
Getting a medical degree from a country like the USA is a great privilege to any Indian student. But most of our Indian population couldn't afford a budget that big to send their kids to study MBBS in the USA. Studying MBBS in a country like the USA could cost a...
So, are you the type of person who won't let a test stop your dreams? You have come to the right place. Here we will discuss the various paths you could take if you scored less marks in your NEET exams. The way people talk about NEET total marks, NEET cutoff 2020 and...
As the 2nd wave is coming to a halt, some sources say that the NTA is ready to conduct the NEET UG 2021 exams as planned earlier. According to the NTA’s notice which was released earlier, the exam is scheduled to happen on September 12, 2021. The application form for...